Saturday, July 4, 2009

Flights to London (Seattle ->SLC -> JFK -> London) - June 21-22

As is often the case with travel, I had to get up super early (4:15a) so I could get to the airport for my 6am flight. I know went without incident but I don’t remember much. It was about two hours to Salt Lake City and I think I just watched the TV shows that were on and attempted to sleep. I was a bit worried about the transfer in Salt Lake because I only had an hour. I was also worrying about my luggage the whole time because of all the stops I had to make, but it followed along just fine. The plane ride was to JFK where we would change planes before heading on to London. I did the normal plane things of watching movies (I can’t say I really remember which ones) and trying to sleep. I think I also played some version of Bejeweled. Sadly the Bookworm Adventure game cost money. The memory that sticks out most in my mind is that we had to wait about an hour circling and waiting on the tarmac at JFK before we were allowed to taxi to the gate. It was fairly annoying and no one was happy about it. One thing about all my flights over these three days that in addition to the airplane meals I had brought my own food: goldfish, raisins, fruit leather and granola bars. So I’d snack between meals and it kept me fairly well fed. I had also brought my own water bottle which I kept filling up at the airports, which was nice. We got to JFK and waited around for some sort of special bus to take the passengers to the plane. I called my parents to let them know I was okay and searched in vain at the stores for a snack I wanted to buy. We took the little bus and were accompanied by the mellifluous sounds of a man talking obnoxiously loud on his cellphone. After some massive seat switching from passengers around me (mostly to keep families together or to get an aisle seat) we finally took off. I was seated next to a guy who played basketball at a Midwestern school and was spending his summer in London doing an internship. He was nice and we talked a bit between dinner and all the movies. Again, I know I saw some movies but I just don’t remember what they were. I do remember that every time I tried to play a video game my entertainment device would shut down. We arrived in London at 7am local time the next day. Passport checks took forever but I was for some reason very amused at getting to tell the passport officials that I would only be in the country for one day. Then I headed off to my hostel.

No comments:

Post a Comment