Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Beirut Day 21- July 14, 2009

MSA class today was just really funny for some reason and we spent a lot of time laughing although I’m not sure I could explain over what. We talked about Arabic literature and the different kinds of Arabic poetry both classical and modern. For lunch we just went to the AUB cafeteria for lunch in the name of simplicity. In the afternoon instead of a movie we had a lecture on the famous Lebanese singer Fayrouz given by the program leader Bilal.

By some unknown miracle, we were never given our homework. I proceeded to waste all my free time in a gloriously unstructured manner. I took a nap, I poked around on the internet…basically I did anything that did not resemble work. For dinner Claire and I met with Jeff who was supposed to go out with some CAMES students. We felt the group was much larger than we would have liked and Claire, Jake and I split off from the group (who went to the Italian place from Beirut Day 1) and went to a café Jake has frequented called Taa Marbuta (the name of an Arabic letter). The food was good and the café had a nice atmosphere even though I came home smelling of smoke. There is no concept of smoke free cafes or restaurants in Beirut. The fact that AUB has designated smoking areas is fairly forward thinking.

No comments:

Post a Comment