Saturday, July 4, 2009

Cairo Airport and EgyptAir Flight from Cairo to Beirut- June 23

Processing through the Cairo airport to get to the next gate didn’t take an absurd amount of time but it did take a little while. The main problem was that for some reason the ticket agent in Britain didn’t print my boarding pass, possibly because BMI was running the flight to Cairo but EgyptAir itself was running the flight to Beirut. Although I was pre-warned by my friend Marcus I was not nearly aggressive enough in the queue-less airport and consequently it took me a while to get my ticket. After that I proceeded through a metal detector (which didn’t seem to be on…) and then had to wait for 20min in front of a second one while they fixed it. Then we waited in a waiting area in order to take a bus to our plane. On the bus I met a Lebanese woman who lives in Seattle and we talked on the way to the plane but were seated in different areas. The flight was just over an hour and was interesting in its differences from American flights. A man came by with a platter of hard candies for people to pick from. A cart was also passed by full of newspapers. When it came meal time, since the flight was over dinner, there appeared to be the one choice of chicken. I managed to tell him that I didn’t want it because I was vegetarian even though I know this had been specified when I booked the flights. The francophone women next to me proceeded to stare at me and talk about me. Later he brought what was apparently the vegetarian meal. Unfortunately it was stone cold and I find it very hard to eat cold vegetables so I drank the mango juice and ate the roll which was delicious. I would have felt worse about not finishing the meal but it seemed like most of the people around me only ate at most half their chicken. We landed without incident.

No comments:

Post a Comment