Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Beirut Day 13 – July 6, 2009

I was woken up around 2 or 2:30am to very loud banging noises. When I went to investigate I found out that my suitemate had apparently been killing a large cockroach she had seen when she went to go to the bathroom and it just would not die. I went back to sleep eventually but my sleep deprivation made for a very long day.

After much running around between the Protection Office and CAMES, I finally managed to turn in all my paperwork to get a new ID. Luckily I did have an extra passport picture (as suggested in the orientation packet) and a copy of my passport. It is apparently illegal for foreigners to leave Beirut without their passports or a copy of it and so I have been walking around with a copy of it in my wallet so as not to lose the real thing.

Claire, Teresa, Jeff and I had dinner at a Sushi Bar on Bliss Street called Japanese Please. I’ve never been able to cope with seaweed even on vegetarian sushi but luckily they had a few non-sushi vegetarian entrees and I got stir fried vegetables and tofu on fried rice. Although according to the menu they were “steer fried” vegetables, much to my amusement. Yes Dad, your “meat juice” jokes would have been appropriate here.

No comments:

Post a Comment