Friday, July 31, 2009

Beirut Day 37 – July 30, 2009

For some reason yesterday was just a very long day that I didn’t enjoy very much until the end of it. Class seemed to drag on and I was irritable for no reason all day and at lunch.

In the afternoon we had our weekly club which this week was debke. Debke is a kind of line dance that is found all over this region. It’s generally performed at weddings or other celebrations. Each area may have steps that are characteristic of it and there’s definitely no one way to do it. There are some basic steps that people can learn off of but often it’s fairly improvised, with the head of the line deciding what will happen next. There were two instructors and one of them was from Karakala (spelling?) a well known debke troupe in Lebanon. My group was taught some super basic steps while the other group with the guy from Karakala learned some more varied and difficult steps. Despite my initial reluctance it was pretty fun although my internal lack of rhythm did make itself known a bit.

I had dinner at Al Bayt/Barometre which was one of those dinners were you go out with 2 or 3 people and end up having dinner with 10. It was fun and I continue to like their food especially their spiced fried potatoes. I also managed to have an incredibly geeky conversation with this guy Adam about languages, television shows, video games, comics and movies. Good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment