Saturday, July 18, 2009

Beirut Day 24 – July 17, 2009

I was able to sleep in until 7:30 since dialect class was cancelled for midterms, which began at 9am. I spent most of the time doing some last minute grammar study and vocab review.

When we were first given the midterm I stared at it in confusion in first. And so did everyone else. Either a mistake had been made, they were reusing the same text from the test on Monday or a new text on the same really boring subject. It turns out it was a mistake. The office had copied the wrong exam! After almost telling us to take the same exam or contemplating doing the exam on Monday instead since giving us the right exam was contingent on the secretary being in the CAMES office, our teacher headed over there. After about ten minutes he returned with the new exam.

I only had a real problem with two questions. One of them I could half answer and made up the second part. Basically we were supposed to find an example of something in the text and give the grammatical name for it, but I had been pretty sure that yesterday we were told we didn’t need to know the names for that type of thing and so I didn’t study them. My second problem was also of a “find an example of X in paragraph 4”. I couldn’t for the life of me find it. I had finished the entire test and stared that the tiny two sentence paragraph for a half an hour before giving up and making something up since it’s offensive to my nerdiness to leave an answer blank.

Claire and I went to Kababji for lunch and it was delicious. We got spiced fried potatoes, fattoush, and fatayer which was unusually in pizza form. After Kababji we went to find an exchange booth for my first actual currency exchange so I could have Syrian pounds before I actually went. I have mostly been just withdrawing money straight from the ATM since it is convenient although it does charge me some fees. Unfortunately the exchange of currency was done almost entirely in English with some FusHa thrown in (as that is my default when I am trying to think in Arabic) as I did not have the foresight to look up relevant words such as “exchange rate”. According to the internet I did not get hosed on the exchange rate.

After that I went back to my room to relax, read and take a nap. I had intended to do at least some of my homework tonight as I will be busy this weekend but after the midterm I put a several hour moratorium on studying Arabic.

For dinner Claire, Rob and I went to Zaatar W Zeit to eat and plan our Sunday trip to Trablos and Byblos. After that we were once again lured by the siren song of Bliss House ice cream. Sadly I did not get any homework done and attempted to go to sleep early at 11 as we were leaving at 6am. I managed to get to bed on time but unfortunately it took a long time to fall asleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment