Thursday, August 6, 2009

Beirut Day 44 – August 6, 2009

I got up a bit early this morning to try and finish studying for the exam. The exam started at 9 and was a bit shorter than I expected and I finished at 11 or so. I’m not sure if that’s good or bad. The reading was, amusingly, about Facebook, although I’m not sure I understood everything it said. I didn’t have a problem with the writing section as far as I know and I think I did alright with the grammar section. Overall I think I did okay. Not fantastic, just okay. The girl I consider the best in the class got like a 26.5/30 points so I am hoping for a solid B. I’ll find out tomorrow when we get our certificates.

After the exam all of us students and Hussein were to meet for lunch at Olio. Hussein was going to meet us there since he and Sara had to turn in the grades by 1. Unfortunately he correctly heard the name but incorrectly heard the place it was near. He didn’t have any of our cellphone numbers and waited 50 minutes near the wrong place without asking anyone for directions before we called him to find out where he was. He did eventually join us and lunch was made more fun although unfortunately all of us didn’t get to spend that much time with him, but we will see him tomorrow at the ‘graduation’ ceremony.

After lunch Suleiman and I went to this nearby artisinat that Sarah had recommended to us. It sold what are basically souvenirs that are incredibly characteristic of the region (as well as amusing things like ties with the flag of Lebanon and shot glasses) and not overpriced. The workmanship on some of the wooden items there was really good. After that Rob and I walked downtown to go to Virgin Mobile since he wanted to find some things. The sun was incredibly strong today and I hope I am not sunburned.

After that I went to my room and slept for a while and then got take-away from Zaatar W Zeit. Even though the work for the program is completely over my brain is trained to want to be doing Arabic homework at this time of night and consequently it keeps telling me I should be conjugating verbs or using these words in a story.

No comments:

Post a Comment