Thursday, August 6, 2009

Beirut Day 42 – August 4, 2009

Class was split on Tuesday. In the morning we had two guests that are friends with our teacher Sara come in to talk to us. The first guest was a woman who talked about Lebanese politics a bit and the book she had written. She also talked a bit about the meanings of body language and did a personality analysis based on our Arabic handwriting. The second guest was a guy who apparently does some acting. He had us do some exercises. The first two weren’t too bad and involved something akin to charades with professions and expressing emotions only using facial expressions. None of us were into the last exercise which was a bit weird and somewhat un-PC so our participation was lackluster. I felt a bit bad but we all told him we didn’t really like acting.

The afternoon was for presentations. I suppose mine went alright but it is difficult to tell with these things. I was incredibly impressed with my classmate Stephanie who was translating from her notes, which were in English, to Arabic on the fly with pretty much no hesitation. If I ever get to her level of thinking and speaking in Arabic I will be very proud of myself. I spent the rest of the night finishing my paper. I met the minimum number of words (1500) and exceeded it by a very tiny bit. I wish I had had more time for editing and making it much better, but oh well (I found out today I got a B on it).

No comments:

Post a Comment