Saturday, August 8, 2009

Beirut 46 – August 8, 2009

I decided to take it easy my last full day in Beirut. I got to sleep in for the first time in a while and it was fantastic. I spent most of the morning alternately reading and puttering around packing.

In the afternoon Claire and I went two artisinats, Arisinat Sidani and Amir, where I spent almost all my remaining cash. I finally bought myself a nice set of worry beads. Worry beads, also called tasbih, are often used in prayer and are used in meditative contemplation and to count the 99 beautiful names of God. Sometimes they are also something of a status symbol and are often seen being carried around by men. I had gotten three ceramic tasbih earlier in my trip as I hadn’t found a nice one that I found affordable. Unfortunately I realized later that those tasbih didn’t have the correct number of beads, which is 33 or 99. All three had too many. Today I found one with 33 beads made out of semi-semi-precious stones for about 20,000LL (~$14) and so I got it. I completely understand why people carry these around, there’s something magnetic about its smoothness and the clicking of the beads that makes you want to touch it all the time.

On the way back to AUB I got my last Bliss House ice cream and a mana’eesh for a very early dinner. I still have a fair amount of food in my room that I need to get rid of before I leave tomorrow morning so I’ll just eat that if I get hungry.

Spent the evening packing, cleaning my room and going over the details of travel for tomorrow. Homeward!

No comments:

Post a Comment